This is a little late for Father’s Day, but excusable since I was cruising in the middle of the Atlantic on Sunday..
Hmm… Some might call it cruising (we were on a ship with booze, shows and sun), but others might have considered it being tossed into the 7th level of hell with every toss of the ship.
It wasn’t exactly smooth sailing…
But, let me focus on the reasons for the post…
Why I love traveling with my Dad:
1) He believes there is an appropriate drink for every meal… Bloody Mary’s for breakfast, beer with lunch, happy hour immediately after lunch and wine with dinner…
2) the only time he looks at his watch is to make sure that we haven’t missed the start of the Captain’s champagne cocktail party
3) whatever the destination, he knows a random factoid of history or urban development and peppers every adventure with more info about the location- just enough to remind you that you still have a brain..
4) starting any sentence with “Dad, do you think we should…”, pretty much guarantees a response of “Sure, sounds good.”
5) old ladies love him. Like for real. And, real old. Too funny.
6) he’s all about the freebies- from sharing cabs to attending ship events for free champagne to reading every booklet and coupon possible for the best deals and steals.
7) after getting up and going to get coffee in PJs, his only suggestion for the day’s activities is to change into swimsuits, find a spot in the sun and read a good book!
8) he’s friendly and nice to everyone- which means we get the best service on the boat (and an old lady following).
9) you can pretty much bet that if he thinks you’re a little red, that sonuva witch sunburn is going to sting when you get in the shower.. And you’ll match the tomatoes on the buffet the next day
10) you can wear whatever you want, do whatever you want and say whatever you want- cause chances are that he’s snoozing in a lounge chair somewhere pretending to read a book and getting a wicked sunburn!
Thanks for all the fun memories, Dad! First, Australia, then South Africa and now Bermuda! You are one of the best traveling companions- here’s to more continents and many more years of your impeccable guidance (and fashion advice- flip flops for every occasion!!).
A few pics from the trip so far: